Re: [jokosher-devel] Open Multitrack Audio Format

Hi Steven,

 Welcome to Jokosher! It would definitely be nice to be able to
interoperate with other multitrack editors; when we were first
designing Jokosher (at the time still JonoEdit) I remember we looked
in to a proposed multimedia meta format, I can't remember the name
though (I think Aq first mentioned it?). Although I seem to remember
after glancing at the spec it seemed rather cumbersome and perhaps
didn't support everything we planned to do.

 Another advantage of a standardised format would be the ability to
have a Jokosher project loaded almost as if it were an already
mixed down audio file in to a video editor (like Pitivi), allowing
you to have Jokosher and Pitivi open simultaniously, so you could
tweak the audio without needing to mix down after every change.
(Clearly we'd want to abstract as much of the file handling code as
possible in to a new library, so all Free projects could read it with
minimal effort).

 But designing such a spec would require a lot of hard work,
determining all the required functionality, and making sure that all
relevant parties are happy with it (no good having a standard if no one
wants to use it). I'd be perfectly happy to offer what little experience
I've gained (as I'm sure other Jokosher devs would) to helping anyone
embarking on this task, but I don't have the time (or probably skill) to
lead such an undertaking myself.

 Cheers,
  Mike.