[jokosher-devel] Open Multitrack Audio Format

I've been thinking a lot lately about how the graphics world needs an open multi-layer raster image format (an OpenDocument format for Gimp/Photoshop). Seeing the announcement that NIN released their new single in the GarageBand format [1], it occurred to me that the multi-track audio world needs the same thing.

This is especially true given how online collaborative audio recording is becoming more common. As far as I know, people either have to agree on one format (ProTools, etc.) to be able to work together (sending each other files in that format), or they have to send each other single tracks in common formats (wav/flac/ogg/mp3, etc.).

I understand that Jokosher created its own file format, which is understandable given the lack of a common format for this type of application. I also imagine that creating such a common format would be quite a difficult and complex job.

I have neither time nor the talent required to take on such a project. That said, I thought it at least worth sharing the idea - though I'm sure it has occurred to most of you already.

Anyone up for inventing OMA - the Open Multi-track Audio format?

Cheers,
Steven Garrity

[1] http://www.digg.com/apple/NIN_releases_Garageband_files_for_their_newest_single_Survivalism