Re: [jokosher-devel] Fwd: Volume fades UI

On 9/18/06, Jens Geiregat <jens geiregat gmail com> wrote:
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but how about this:

Default: a red line is drawn on top of the the waveform at 100%-level.
Double-click the red line, a dot/handle appears.
Move a handle up/down: Jokosher makes sure there are straight lines
between all handles. (Connect the dots. :-) There should be handles at
the beginning and the end of each track.

So basicly, you're editing the red line, giving immediate feedback
about what the resulting fade looks/will sound like. No problem with
changing things outside of the selecting, because there is no
selection.

The is the technique used by some other multi-trackers, and since
evaluating the current method we have and the proposed methods, I have
come to the conclusion that this is the way we should do it. I think
the concept of making a selection to do a fade is potential
incompatible for anything beyond simple volume fades. So yes, I am now
plumping with this idea. With it we get everything we need:

* Small volume fades are simple.
* clever multi-faceted fades, with lots of control points are possible.
* Conceptually easy to code as well.

I reckon we should go for this, and it has proven it works well in
other multitrackers.

I still think we need our selections code, and still have the drawer,
but that can be used for applying effects and a volume fade for that
specific portion (which would just put the control points on the line
for you.

 Jono