Re: [jokosher-devel] New runscript

On 11/13/06, Laszlo Pandy <laszlok2 gmail com> wrote:
Stuart Langridge wrote:
> 2. I don't think I have time to install five or six different distros
> and learn how to install packages on them :(

I'm thinking that near 50% of our users will be using Ubuntu. Also many
people have come into the IRC channel and asked:

I can't get Jokosher to work on my distro. Would it be easier if I
installed it Ubuntu?

Right now, our answer would have to be:
No, it is *very difficult* on all distros because we didn't want to give
special treatment to anyone, so you all have to suffer.

I think that since we are giving special treatment to Ubuntu for
everything else, and we have a ton of developers running ubuntu who
could easily write and test an Ubuntu specific install script, we should
make one.

We should keep the current generic install script and make another
Ubuntu Edgy specific install script. The latter should be written so
that it can be modified for other distros, and if they want, members
from those respective communities can support their distro.

As for build dependencies on Ubuntu, would apt-get install
build-essential deal with all of those?

No, but the apt-get build-dep command I gave in IRC will.

I didn't want to favour Ubuntu because
(a) I use it
(b) Jono works for Canonical
(c) it would look like favouritism
(d) it's sort of against the inclusive nature of the community

but I am the first to concede that it will make it easier. So, I
solicit opinions. What do list members think about the idea of making
a script to make it easy to install Jokosher 0.2 by getting and
compiling gstreamer CVS *that only works on Ubuntu*, and just
providing instructions (as we do currently) for other distributions?
I'm particularly interested in how non-Ubuntu users would feel about
this.

sil

--
<muntyan> what's the point in embedding emacs anyway? it's like
         embedding rocket ship into toyota camry