Re: [jokosher-devel] Jokosher 0.1 Ubuntu package

Hello Daniel,

On 21/07/06, Daniel Holbach <daniel holbach ubuntu com> wrote:
Hello Chris,

On Fr, 2006-07-21 at 10:25 +0100, Chris Brown wrote:

> Jono and Aq have both mentioned that portability is a goal for 0.2 and
> I dont think we should limit ourselves in packaging terms to
> traditional .deb and .rpm avenues.

this is why I think that jokosher should take care of that and not the
packaging. All the points I mentioned should IMHO be fixed upstream.

I've mailed the list about this:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/jokosher-devel-list/2006-July/msg00088.html

As for moving .py files into a separate directory, this really is the job of packaging ie. to place files correctly when installed. Developers should not have to worry about this.

user who downloads the tarball and runs ./setup.py shouldn't have to do
anything. That will make packaging for all the distros super-easy as
well.

Thats the goal isnt it. :) However I dont think that users should be expected to have to download a tarball, unzip it and run a setup file. This can lead to problems such as users running programs from home directories, having to open a terminal window and execute a script (okay, nautilus should do this too) and other nasties. Only Gentoo ricers will want to do something like this :P

Are you at LRL this weekend? It would be good to discuss this at the BOF perhaps....

Regards
Chris