Re: [jokosher-devel] Jokosher 0.1 Ubuntu package

On 21/07/06, Daniel Holbach <daniel holbach ubuntu com> wrote:
Hello John,

On Fr, 2006-07-21 at 09:31 +0100, John Green wrote:
> Cool :). So we need to create a setup.py for distutils detailing what needs to
> be built and that's it - right?

I personally would take it some steps further. I'd
      * move the *.py files to a directory (this makes installation
        to /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/... easier)
      * create a wrapper /usr/bin/jokosher (that's what people would
        like to start from the command line)
      * use gtk icon theme look up and install icon
        to /usr/share/icons/hicolor/
      * remove all the occurrences of static and hard coded paths.

I might have forgotten some other points, but the above would be really
great. I sent a patch to Jono some time ago which addressed most of the
issues (but might have introduced some bugs). It might be outdated by
now - if I find the time I'll look into it again and try to update it.

Have a nice day,
Daniel

Certainly I have taken care of points 1 & 2. As for 3 my RPM places the jokosher.png into /usr/share/applications/pixmaps. Point 4 could be best answered by the Devs. Jono and Aq have both mentioned that portability is a goal for 0.2 and I dont think we should limit ourselves in packaging terms to traditional .deb and .rpm avenues.

You might just want to download the rpm I created and extract to see current thinking on how to install stuff. There is plenty of documentation on the 'net regarding how to get around hard-coded paths with reference to installation and portability of code - the .spec file that RPM uses has macros to locate python variables. Which rocks.

Regards
Chris