Re: GJS Status

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 4:19 PM Giovanni Campagna <scampa giovanni gmail com> wrote:
On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 3:57 PM, Andrea Giammarchi
<andrea giammarchi gmail com> wrote:
> @Giovanni ... even on OSX, this is the situation:
>
> jhbuild build cairo
>
> *** Checking out pixman *** [1/2]
>
> *** Skipping pixman (package and dependencies not updated) *** [1/2]
>
> *** Checking out cairo *** [2/2]
>
> *** Skipping cairo (package and dependencies not updated) *** [2/2]
>
> *** success *** [2/2]
>
> Macs-Mac-mini:gjs-documentation macmini$ jhbuild run make
>
> make: *** No rule to make target `generated/cairo-1.0', needed by
> `html/cairo-1.0'.  Stop.

I seriously doubt jhbuild on mac would be configured to use /opt/gnome
as prefix, so please pass prefix=... to your make command.

> Macs-Mac-mini:gjs-documentation macmini$ jhbuild build cairo-1.0
>
> jhbuild build: A module called ''cairo-1.0'' could not be found.
>
> Usage: jhbuild [ -f config ] command [ options … ]

Module name is cairo

> Macs-Mac-mini:gjs-documentation macmini$
>

> I've no idea how to move on. Everything I build is successful, I
> still cannot generate a thing and I don't even have those gir files
> .... I don't mind configuring a VM a part so can you pleaase tell me
> what kind of OS are you using and pass me your jhbuild configuration
> file, if any?
>
> I really dunno what else I could do ... ideally it's usually good to
> have a simple way to update a documentation, here I'm completely lost
> :-(
>
> Best Regards

I'm on Fedora 23. My jhbuild config is a standard one with:

checkoutroot = os.path.expanduser('~/gnome')
prefix = '/opt/gnome'

In any case, no matter what, you should have the gir files in
$(prefix)/share/gir-1.0.
This is true in any OS you try to jhbuild on. If you don't then
something is wrong with your setup, and you should look at the build
logs. At the very least Gtk-3.0.gir should be there (along with its
deps Pango, Atk, cairo, PangoCairo, Gdk etc.), if it isn't look at the
output of "jhbuild buildone -fac gtk+" if it says something about
introspection.
If it still fails, you can look at "jhbuild buildone -f
gobject-introspection" and look where it installs thing.

JHbuild works slightly differently on OS X than it does on Linux. You should follow the instructions here: https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GTK+/OSX/Building
These instructions can be found through a link on the gtk.org download page for OS X.

A lot of modules need patches in order to build correctly on OS X, and this setup will apply those patches for you. Make sure to use the "modulesets-stable" option, unless you feel like doing a lot of build system debugging; in most cases, "modulesets-stable" gives you versions that are known to work.

(This is probably also why you have been having trouble downloading nspr and mozjs.)

Regards,
Philip