Re: read asynchronous stdout from gjs

For this you should prefer the Gio.Subprocess API. Unfortunately it's too new to appear in the roojs documentation, but here's the Python documentation so you can get a sense of how it works: http://lazka.github.io/pgi-docs/index.html#Gio-2.0/classes/Subprocess.html#Gio.Subprocess

Here are how the examples from your linked StackOverflow question would be implemented. (I didn't post them there because your question was really about the main loop, so it wouldn't have been a good answer for SO.)

Sync:

const Gio = imports.gi.Gio;
let subprocess = new Gio.Subprocess({
    argv: ['/bin/ls'],
    flags: Gio.SubprocessFlags.STDOUT_PIPE,
});
subprocess.init(null);
let [, out] = subprocess.communicate_utf8(null, null);
print(out);

Async:

const Gio = imports.gi.Gio;
const Mainloop = imports.mainloop;
let subprocess = new Gio.Subprocess({
    argv: ['/bin/ls'],
    flags: Gio.SubprocessFlags.STDOUT_PIPE,
});
subprocess.init(null);
subprocess.communicate_utf8_async(null, null, (obj, res) => {
    let [, out] = obj.communicate_utf8_finish(res);
    print(out);
    Mainloop.quit('main');
});
Mainloop.run('main');