Re: Dbus support

El Thu, 27 Nov 2008 10:50:00 +0100
Giorgos Logiotatidis <seadog sealabs net> escribió:

> On Πεμ, 2008-11-27 at 06:40 +0000, Toms wrote:
> > I am also voting for 3rd party application tracker thing.
> >
> > I was kind of trying to find the right arguments for some good 1/2
> > hour, but couldn't find anything that wouldn't start a bike shed
> > effect type of chatter.
> > So, in essence - tracking currently active application is the other
> > approach to time tracking. It requires training from user side, a
> > ton of semantics to make sense out of window sets and states.
> > Content extractors from the aforementioned window sets. And all it
> > saves is like, 200 clicks a day, compared to the millions user is
> > doing. Hamster becomes heavy, user keeps (and forgets) states of the
> > applicatoin in his head
> > (gedit("something.txt")+firefox(somepage)+chat with somebody =
> > "work, or something"), and at the end of month, can't decypher
> > anything but some funny / curious statistics on how much time has
> > been spent on reading slashdot. That is not really time tracking.
> >
> > So - it certainly is an idea worth trying out, and i encourage you
> > to go for it, but let's keep it separate for now.
> > A plugin is a perspective worth considering, but before that - a
> > third party app, talking via DBUS could do the job!
> >
> > Regards,
> > Toms
> >

> I see your points Toms and Patryk and I must say that I agree that
> it's going to make things more complex for hamster users. It will
> definitely need I really good implementation concept to be actually
> usable and users don't mess up as Toms says.
>
> Such a feature though will make users that do a lot of things in
> parallel (like my self :) taking more advantage of hamster, because of
> the fast non-user-interaction changing of the tasks.
>
> Let's keep this separate from hamster for now, as you suggest. When I
> get some implemented I will let you know and then we can reconsider
> whether it get users happy or angry! :)
>
> Thanks for the comments,
> Giorgos

IMHO i support Patryk and Toms for making hamster simple and usable for
most users.

For "powerusers" features i think external app's (or a
future plugin/extension system) do the right.

If you want an example check at
https://code.launchpad.net/~fontanon/hamster-applet/hamster-plugins

Here, you can see a pair of external app's tracking hamster changes via
d-bus.

Cheers!