Re: Dbus support

On Πεμ, 2008-11-27 at 06:40 +0000, Toms wrote:
> I am also voting for 3rd party application tracker thing.
>
> I was kind of trying to find the right arguments for some good 1/2
> hour, but couldn't find anything that wouldn't start a bike shed
> effect type of chatter.
> So, in essence - tracking currently active application is the other
> approach to time tracking. It requires training from user side, a ton
> of semantics to make sense out of window sets and states. Content
> extractors from the aforementioned window sets. And all it saves is
> like, 200 clicks a day, compared to the millions user is doing.
> Hamster becomes heavy, user keeps (and forgets) states of the
> applicatoin in his head (gedit("something.txt")+firefox(somepage)+chat
> with somebody = "work, or something"), and at the end of month, can't
> decypher anything but some funny / curious statistics on how much time
> has been spent on reading slashdot. That is not really time tracking.
>
> So - it certainly is an idea worth trying out, and i encourage you to
> go for it, but let's keep it separate for now.
> A plugin is a perspective worth considering, but before that - a third
> party app, talking via DBUS could do the job!
>
> Regards,
> Toms

I see your points Toms and Patryk and I must say that I agree that it's
going to make things more complex for hamster users. It will definitely
need I really good implementation concept to be actually usable and
users don't mess up as Toms says.

Such a feature though will make users that do a lot of things in
parallel (like my self :) taking more advantage of hamster, because of
the fast non-user-interaction changing of the tasks.

Let's keep this separate from hamster for now, as you suggest. When I
get some implemented I will let you know and then we can reconsider
whether it get users happy or angry! :)

Thanks for the comments,
Giorgos