Re: gnome-disk-utility volume monitor

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 18:22:19 -0500
Matthias Clasen <matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Jannis Pohlmann <jannis xfce org>
> wrote:
>
> > As pointed out earlier it would be a pain to
> > write a set of GIO extensions as powerful as GVfs just to work
> > around its GNOME dependencies.
>
> Then you should be happy that you don't have to. We already did all
> the hard work for you.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really glad that GVfs exists. I'm just looking
for ways to make it independent on libraries only used in GNOME. It
doesn't seem to be too difficult (except maybe for the GConf dependency
of gnome-keyring which e.g. Ubuntu doesn't seem to have by the way).
I'd even be willing to help with this.

> You can get rid of GConf at build time (--disable-gconf), at
> installation time (package libgiogconf.so separately) and at runtime
> (install an trivial implementation of the desktop-app-info-lookup
> extension point and set G_IO_USE_URI_ASSOCIATION).

Again, libgiogconf.so is only one situation where GConf is used in
GVfs. Of course I'd love to encourage people to pack it separately but
we all know general purpose distros good enough to tell that they won't
do that.

  - Jannis