Re: gnome-disk-utility volume monitor

On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 11:54 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:

> So I don't really have a good response to any of this; the way I see it,
> GConf and gnome-keyring are currently pretty hard deps in GVfs and I
> don't expect that to change until someone invents something better
> either at the GLib level or at the freedesktop.org level.
>
> Of course this is just my view of the world, Alex is the GVfs maintainer
> and he might have different views on this.

I'm not particularly fond of the gconf dependency with its dependency on
CORBA and whatnot, and try to keep use of it down. However, some use is
needed to integrate with the desktop settings. I'm hoping that
dconf/GSettings will eventually land so that we can drop it.

Gnome-keyring however is very useful and I don't see that going away as
a dependency. Gnome-keyring doesn't have a lot of dependencies though,
only glib/gtk + minor use of gconf. I'd rather have the xfce people work
with the gnome-keyring people so that it can be shared by both desktops.