Re: gnome-disk-utility volume monitor

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 12:00:15 -0500
Matthias Clasen <matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 9:26 AM, Jannis Pohlmann <jannis xfce org>
> wrote:
>
> > I'm also wondering whether things like 1) -- the gconf/ folder in
> > the GVfs tree -- shouldn't be moved out of GVfs. It's clearly tied
> > to GNOME.
>
> The GConf dependency is already confined to the separate
> libgiogconf.so module, and there is even a --disable-gconf configure
> option.

I know that but distribution just make GConf a hard dependency of GVfs.
If the GConf-related code would be moved out of GVfs into a separate
package that dependency could be dropped and people from other desktops
could benefit from GVfs in a less painful way.

Basically, what we'd love to see is this:

  - Move GConf URI handler code into a separate, independent package.

  - Remove GConf API calls from GVfs. If needed, detect gconftool at
    runtime. If it is available use it to query GNOME-specific
    settings. If not, fall back to defaults.

  - Look into how we can make gnome-keyring more desktop agnostic. It
    seems unlikely that dconf will be ready anytime soon, so the
    dependency on GConf is a problem for other desktops.

I'd be happy to see a collaboration of desktops here, as we are very
much interested in GVfs. As pointed out earlier it would be a pain to
write a set of GIO extensions as powerful as GVfs just to work around
its GNOME dependencies.

Cheers,
Jannis