Re: gnome-disk-utility volume monitor

Hey,

On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 00:27:58 -0500
David Zeuthen <david fubar dk> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Here we go with the new native volume monitor to replace the HAL
> volume monitor. This volume monitor uses the gnome-disk-utility
> library (which is also used in the Palimpsest Disk Utility) which in
> turn uses DeviceKit-disks. Which in turn is the replacement for HAL.

we're about to adopt GIO/GVfs in Xfce and I'm a little concerned about
GNOME dependencies in GVfs. AFAIR, the HAL monitor already depends on
gnome-mount which means that in Xfce we'd have to write our own HAL
monitor just to replace gnome-mount with exo-mount. With a dependency
on gnome-disk-utility our situation doesn't get any better, even if it's
optional (a lot of distributions will probably make it a hard
dependency anyway).

So, I wonder ... wouldn't it make more sense to write a monitor solely
based on DeviceKit-disks to keep things desktop agnostic?

Cheers,
Jannis