Re: [gugmasters] Local User Group

Frederic,

I originally responded to a tweet from Chandni Verma asking for volunteers to help build local GNOME communities. I am a Web developer based in Miami, FL, USA and I would love to volunteer my design and development skills as well as my time to help build a GNOME user community in the United States.
  • I am a Web designer based in Miami, Florida, USA.
  • I have not been previously involved with GNOME, but am an avid Linux user and have been using the GNOME desktop for many years. I am extremely excited about the new changes present in GNOME3 and the future of the project.
  • I have presented at many conferences; most recently I gave a presentation about WordPress for Mobile at the WordCamp Miami Conference. I am a huge proponent of open source software and would love to be a GNOME evangelist! I am a core member of the Lucid Desktop open source project (http://www.lucid-desktop.org). We based the design of version 1 of the Lucid system on the GNOME interface, but have restructured version 2 for a more Web friendly UI.
  • I have lectured at the University of Miami and have a strong talent for training teams and developing a group of contributors.
  • By creating a GNOME-MIA (GNOME Miami) user group I hope to expand the GNOME user-base to my local community. I actually notice that there is no GNOME-USA user group! Maybe it's best to start there, so that there is a proper structure in the United States community. My vision would be to build an online community (Web-based) that would allow users to post screenshots of their customized desktops, questions about using GNOME, and general how-tos and what's coming articles. I would want to foster gnome-usa.com (or a similar domain) into a flourishing community. I maintain the Web servers and design resources necessary to handle this type of Web project and would love to contribute to GNOME with what I do best. I believe that by creating gnome-usa.org, we can utilize sub-groups within the community in order to properly build smaller, localized communities. I can build a solid site on WordPress (as I see gnome is not using WordPress for the main project site), and BuddyPress can be used to allow users to manage their own place within the community. We can even allow event registration through the site to help organize local meetups.
  • 5 years from now I would hope to build gnome-usa.com into a vibrant community of users who love GNOME and love helping each other learn new features of the desktop.

Steven Mautone
steven inverted com
http://www.inverted.com
(917) 512-9694