Re: Helping out

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 04:10:50PM +0200, Sense Hofstede wrote:
> I saw, but those failure mails appeared a lot on the mailing list and
> no one reacted to those as well, so I figured it wouldn't be too bad.

The mailing list is just a fyi, the one causing the breakage is
responsible to fix it. So emails are usually not read. Probably good to
clarify in the emails. Mailing list main purpose is so people can figure
out if a breakage was due to a previous commit.

> I didn't purge the history, I moved the old contents to a separate --
> 'legacy' -- branch and pushed the current version to the repository
> after having discussed this with the GNOME Web Team. I assumed they

Hmm ok. Everyone can create new modules, so that would've been a better
solution.

Putting something in a branch is not supported.

> were the team responsible for that branch and was confirmed in my
> believes by the fact they did give me Git access and agreed with me.

I did the final account creation step, but that was not linked to
changing the guadec-web module like this. Expanding the existing one
would be ok.

Anyway, something I'll look at after GUADEC, not important now.

> >> Before I give you access, I'd like to know what you want to change to
> >> the website. We're using OCS -- Open Conference Systems -- for the
> >> website; it is very specific and doesn't make adding custom pages
> >> particularly easy. Some of the text is managed inside OCS
> >> (Accommodation, Overview), some of it just by hardcoding it into
> >> manually created template files(GNOME developer training).
> >
> > Hmm.. I forgot specifics. There was some stuff on the accommodation
> > page (google maps view IIRC.. oh, and suggest to check flights from
> > other locations than Schiphol) which we discussed at the last meeting
> > and there was some typo in an announcement.
> >
> Why would you want to adapt that yourself? I think it would be better

Why not do it myself? If something is wrong I change it and I thought
more help was needed.

> to not have ten different people adapting the website on their own,
> there are already enough (personally, I'd say too much) people
> supposed to help with the website. The best way to get things done, I
> feel, would be by sending a mail to this mailing list. Then I, or
> possibly someone else, could pick it up and make the change.

Understood. This is not what I am used to though, so I rather focus on
something else.

> I'm not so sure about changing to Google Maps all of the sudden. When
> it was just me working on the website and Koen directing me, the two
> of us decided to go with OpenStreetMap because we want to use as much
> open tools as possible and because previously we had received
> complaints about the fact that there is only a Twitter button at the
> website and not an Identica button.

This was a suggestion at the meeting as OSM wasn't working and you were
at UDS. IIRC Koen agreed with the change. Now OSM seems to work again so
it isn't needed.

--
Regards,
Olav