Re: Helping out

Ah, so I understand.. I had made a googlemap with lots of points of interest.. Is it possible for me to add clickable points of interest to our existing map? Would that be the right place to list restaurants/ bars/ cafes/ beaches/ parks/ areas/ tram stops/ etc? I would like to avoid having a map full of un-tagged points, as our current map seems to be.

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 4:10 PM, Sense Hofstede <qense ubuntu com> wrote:
On 17 May 2010 22:45, Olav Vitters <olav vitters nl> wrote:
> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 09:33:47PM +0200, Sense Hofstede wrote:
>> On 9 May 2010 23:22, Olav Vitters <olav vitters nl> wrote:
>> > What is the password for guadec.org and how do I change stuff?
>> >
>> > Btw: Subscribed a few people.
>> >
>> Thank you for setting up the mailing list and subscribing some people.
>>
>> First of all, apologises for my late response. I have been away last
>> week -- Ubuntu Developer Summit -- and had little time to respond to
>> my mail.
>>
>> If you want to change things to the code of the GUADEC website, please
>> take a look at the 'guadec-web' module in GNOME Git; it contains the
>> code of the website. We're using OCS.
>
> How is this updated? It emails gnomeweb www gnome org
>
> Oh, seems you just tookover an existing module and purged history?
> Would've liked to receive a notification about this. E.g.
> http://2003.guadec.org/ is still in the webserver config and now various
> things are broken (website update scripts, etc).
>
> Didn't you see those website update failure emails?

I saw, but those failure mails appeared a lot on the mailing list and
no one reacted to those as well, so I figured it wouldn't be too bad.
I didn't purge the history, I moved the old contents to a separate --
'legacy' -- branch and pushed the current version to the repository
after having discussed this with the GNOME Web Team. I assumed they
were the team responsible for that branch and was confirmed in my
believes by the fact they did give me Git access and agreed with me.

>> Before I give you access, I'd like to know what you want to change to
>> the website. We're using OCS -- Open Conference Systems -- for the
>> website; it is very specific and doesn't make adding custom pages
>> particularly easy. Some of the text is managed inside OCS
>> (Accommodation, Overview), some of it just by hardcoding it into
>> manually created template files(GNOME developer training).
>
> Hmm.. I forgot specifics. There was some stuff on the accommodation
> page (google maps view IIRC.. oh, and suggest to check flights from
> other locations than Schiphol) which we discussed at the last meeting
> and there was some typo in an announcement.

Why would you want to adapt that yourself? I think it would be better
to not have ten different people adapting the website on their own,
there are already enough (personally, I'd say too much) people
supposed to help with the website. The best way to get things done, I
feel, would be by sending a mail to this mailing list. Then I, or
possibly someone else, could pick it up and make the change.

I'm not so sure about changing to Google Maps all of the sudden. When
it was just me working on the website and Koen directing me, the two
of us decided to go with OpenStreetMap because we want to use as much
open tools as possible and because previously we had received
complaints about the fact that there is only a Twitter button at the
website and not an Identica button.

> --
> Regards,
> Olav