Re: [guadec-list] Training workshops at GUADEC

On Mi, 2016-01-27 at 15:22 +0100, Lasse Schuirmann wrote:
There have been newcomers workshops organized in part by Marina at GUADEC
recently. https://wiki.gnome.org/Events/NewcomersWorkshop

This is how I got started with GNOME, so I think this is a great idea. I'm
not sure if having them before guadec starts would be best though because
there might hardly be any people there, and newcomers who aren't from the
area might not have arrived yet.

Awesome, I didn't ever hear of such a thing.

I think that can be solved through good communication, make clear to
the newcomers that there is an event that is specifically designed for
them; we can "expect" GSoC participants to go there e.g. - I think
it's good to have this before the conference so newcomers feel already
welcome and have some knowledge; makes it easier for them to take part
in discussions during the hallway track of the actual conference.

We would need some sort of registration system for this anyways
(control number of attendees per workshop, payment if necessary,
certificate printing, …). So people should be aware.

And yes, especially if it is on the day before the conference then it
needs to be communicated rather early (much earlier than the rest of
the schedule).

Benjamin