Re: [guadec-list] Training workshops at GUADEC

On 01/27/2016 05:14 AM, Benjamin Berg wrote:
Hi,

I have been pondering the idea of having a couple of training workshops
on the day before GUADEC starts (i.e. on Thursday). There should be
workshops targeted at both newcomers (more likely students) and more
experienced developers/professionals. These workshops should be free
for students and foundation members. Other attendees would need to pay
which--depending on interest--might create revenue stream for GUADEC.

Note that GUADEC would not offer direct compensation to tutors in this
model.

If we want to do these kind of workshops we need a number of people and
companies willing to step up and offer tutoring full (or maybe half)
day workshops. As this is a new thing for GUADEC, I expect that we
would need to ask people to step up to the task.

Do you think such an offer is a good idea?
Any ideas for workshops (and who could do these)?

Regards,
Benjamin

There have been newcomers workshops organized in part by Marina at GUADEC recently. https://wiki.gnome.org/Events/NewcomersWorkshop

This is how I got started with GNOME, so I think this is a great idea. I'm not sure if having them before guadec starts would be best though because there might hardly be any people there, and newcomers who aren't from the area might not have arrived yet.