Re: [guadec-list] Training workshops at GUADEC

On Mi, 2016-01-27 at 13:04 +0100, Lasse Schuirmann wrote:
I love the idea. I think we should definitely do that even if there
is almost or no revenue because I see great potential for knowledge
exchange within the community here. Having some good introduction for
interns and interested newcomers is a really good thing IMO.
For some people it might be relevant to get some kind of
"certificate" that they have knowledge, I guess that would also
influence willingness of employers to pay.

I guess that basically means writing up a nice letter/certificate and
getting it signed by the GUADEC organization and the individual doing
the workshop?

Exactly. Probably the individual suffices even, companies tend to like
some "paper" in the end so it doesn't matter that much whats on there
I guess.

What is the rationale for not offering speakers any direct
compensation and what does that mean exactly? It would be fair IMO to
offer them at least travel sponsorship. Though we will see if people
step up for this regardless, its a lot of work to do this properly
after all.

I think that this should be covered by normal travel sponsorship. By
saying "no direct compensation" I mean that I don't think that it is
viable to pay someone to do these. Reimbursements are an entirely
different thing.

I'm just saying it would be nice to be able to guarantee some
advantage compared to non-speakers so people have an incentive to do
that. It is a lot of work after all and *you* are making money with
*their* free work.

I have done some introductions to git and GNOME inspired Workflows,
maintaining projects properly in two universities recently and people
seemed to like it. I could think of turning this into a workshop if
there is demand.

Yeah, something like a GIT and maybe FOSS basics workshop would be
great to see!

Count me in then. We can sync up later to fix the topic.

Lasse

On 27 Jan 2016 11:14 a.m., "Benjamin Berg" <benjamin sipsolutions net