Re: [guadec-list] GUADEC 2016: length and schedule

Andreas Nilsson <lists andreasn se> wrote:
I've added a sketch to the etherpad [1] - you could have 12 longer
talks and either 8 or 16 short ones, depending on whether you go
multi-track for those or not.

20 minutes talks could work, but I don't understand the motivation for
keeping those in a single track only.

You don't really want people picking and choosing between tracks when
each talk is just 20 minutes long - it would be too much dancing
around. You could have multiple tracks, of course, but you'd probably
need to ensure that the tracks are going consistent and will interest
the same crowd.

You'll end up with only 20 talks for the entire conference. [1] Making the
20-minute slots multi-track would grow that number to 28.

We had 23 this year, fwiw.

For the sketch, I made the long talks 40 minutes, but they could be
30. I also added coffee breaks. If we'd like more talk slots, we could
probably claw back a bit more time.

Note that I did cut one of the keynotes (so there's only for for the
conference), so if we wanted 2 keynotes that's fewer presentations
still. You could do two tracks of short talks, two keynotes, and be
left with a total of about 24 talks.

1. This working on the premise that we either cut the lightning talks or the
interns lightning talks + team presentations. If not, we're talking 14 talks
total or so...

One of the nice things about the short talks is that they could
effectively replace the lightning talks for those who wanted to give a
short presentation about something.

Allan