Re: [guadec-list] GUADEC 2016: length and schedule

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 11:20 AM David King <amigadave amigadave com> wrote:
Hi

On 2015-11-05 19:03, Allan Day <aday gnome org> wrote:
>Until 2014, GUADEC had 4 core days. Then, this year, we switched to 3
>days. This was a bit of a challenge for the schedule: we just managed
>to squeeze everything in, but only just.
>
>If we want to go down to two core days, we'll probably have to
>radically rethink the schedule. Possibilities might involve cutting
>the lightning talks, and/or cutting the length of the talks. It seems
>like a good idea to talk about this early on.

I have also been on the papers committee for the last couple of years.
Given the general quality and freshness of talk proposals received, I
can see little problem with dropping to only 2 core days. Reducing the
length of time allocated to each talk would be my preference, if it is
desirable to keep the same number of talks on the schedule.

I think this is really the sign of the times and a form of stagnation as occurred.  We can probably get a lot more interesting papers if we started reaching out to other projects that are using our software and platform.  Giving other perspectives will drive more conversation and ideas for collaboration.

Since I am also working on a conference, I'm happy to share notes on what I'm doing in contrast with GUADEC.

sri

--
http://amigadave.com/