Re: [guadec-list] anti-harassment policy

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 03:57:27PM +0200, Alexandre Franke wrote:

Have you been to FOSDEM?

Not since I started caring about conferences having useful CoCs.

Have there been complaints about the FOSDEM policy not being enough or
people boycotting the FOSDEM because of the lack of a stronger policy?

There have been complaints, yes. Some people I know won't go to FOSDEM
as a result. But that's anecdotal rather than compelling evidence, and I
wouldn't expect anybody to change their mind based on it. It's certainly
possible for a conference to be successful without a strong CoC. It's
absolutely possible for the vast majority of attendees to have a good
time.

Given that many large conferences (including OSCON, LCA, the OpenStack
summit and every Linux Foundation event) with a cumulative total of
thousands of attendees have implemented such policies, if chilling
effects were likely shouldn't we have seen complaints already?

You're using an argument that's been rightfully dismissed when used
the other way around. "If harassment was such a big problem, I would
have heard about it".

There are many documented cases of harassment occurring. How many
documented cases of people being unjustly restricted by a CoC have there
been? If it's equally difficult to talk about both (which strikes me as
unlikely - discussing harassment at conferences tends to get you
sexualised slurs and threats of violence, discussing restrictions on
freedom of speech tends to get you praise), that still seems like an
argument that more people are affected by harassment than are affected
by CoCs.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59 srcf ucam org