Re: [guadec-list] anti-harassment policy

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 3:08 PM, Matthew Garrett <mjg59 srcf ucam org> wrote:
I'm uncomfortable attending a conference run by people who feel
uncomfortable with having such a policy. Such policies have proven more
effective than generic "Be friendly" policies in creating an atmosphere
of safety, and despite frequent claims that they'll result in a chilling
effect there's been no evidence of that whatsoever.

I've been to five conferences so far this year. All have had a strong
anti-harassment policy. People have complained about the lack of tea.
People have complained about the distance from an airport. People have
complained about having a rail freight line running through the
convention centre. I have heard *no* complaints about the code of
conduct. I have seen nobody's speech stifled. I have seen no false
complaints made.

Have you been to FOSDEM?

Have there been complaints about the FOSDEM policy not being enough or
people boycotting the FOSDEM because of the lack of a stronger policy?

Given that many large conferences (including OSCON, LCA, the OpenStack
summit and every Linux Foundation event) with a cumulative total of
thousands of attendees have implemented such policies, if chilling
effects were likely shouldn't we have seen complaints already?

You're using an argument that's been rightfully dismissed when used
the other way around. "If harassment was such a big problem, I would
have heard about it".

When people get uncomfortable (be it because they've been harassed or
because they feel oppressed by a policy), it is not reasonnable to
expect them to talk openly about it.

--
Alexandre Franke