Re: [guadec-list] anti-harassment policy

Some outsider comment as I'm on this mailing list, somehow. :)

On Fri, 2014-07-11 at 16:41 -0400, Marina Zhurakhinskaya wrote:
On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 3:19 AM, Christophe Fergeau <cfergeau gmail com> wrote:
What is "a sexual message"? Who will decide that? For some muslim,
women's hair must be covered, or even most of the face (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veil#Islam ) « The principal aim of the
Muslim veil is to hide that which men find sexually attractive. ».

We can use Western society's idea of what conveys a sexual message.

I would rather point to the CoC instead: It also contains "regardless of
[...] physical appearance" which in my humble interpretation rates
anybody's personal freedom to wear a veil (or not) higher than somebody
else's potential interpretation of whether somebody should cover her/his
hair or not. So if a conflict on interpreting "sexual message" arose,
then people should maybe respectfully talk to each other and point out
the issue, which the CoC is about (or not? well, to me it is).

As self-censorship was brought up earlier: I share the sentiment but I
don't consider it bad to think twice what you say and how you act,
especially in a diverse community. I expect everybody to assume good
faith at first, or at least naivity, or even stupidity, instead of
assuming an intention of insulting and hurting feelings.

Behavior and terms are always interpretable. We will never find an
"objective" wording that conveys a totally clear and shared
interpretation in our diverse world, e.g. for "sexual images".
Still that doesn't mean that people shouldn't think first when choosing
images in presentations whether they could be considered sexual by part
of the audience. If you're unsure, ask your (hopefully diverse enough)
peer group for feedback first?

Maybe it's just my understanding, but I thought we are first of all
after creating more awareness and understanding of problems created by
behavior considered problematic by some, plus supporting everybody in
being good and respectful community members by providing guidelines.

andre
--
Andre Klapper  |  ak-47 gmx net
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/