Re: [guadec-list] anti-harassment policy

On 10/07/2014, Alexandre Franke <alexandre franke gmail com> wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 9:28 AM, Christophe Fergeau <cfergeau gmail com>
wrote:
Something I've been wondering in the last few days, can we concretely
expel someone from the conference if they keep coming back in spite of
us telling them they are no longer welcome and have been expelled? I'm
afraid we won't be able to do much apart from kicking them out over and
over when we notice they are present :(

As you guessed, in such a case there is not much we can do. We could
hire a bouncer but I hope everyone finds this as ridiculous as I do.
If someone is really creating problems, we can (and should) call the
police.

So far I've only had time to reply to the technical questions that
arised (phone numbers…) and not to the practical side of implementing
a policy. Let me fix this.

To begin with, I reverted the change by Pascal, as we didn't reach a
consensus and publishing the policy Marina suggested is not ok. (Also
I think some information I had on the page were missing, such as the
number for SOS médecin)

I've discussed this in private one-to-one conversations with several
organization team members and everyone is uncomfortable with having
such a policy. There are potential harassment victim in this group
(female, black, fat…). The general feeling is that having a policy
such as the long one Marina wrote:
* intimidates everyone and establishes a climate of fear
* is not more efficient than a shorter one such as the current
https://www.guadec.org/policy/ version
* encourages "tl;dr" (too long; didn't read) behaviour

To be frank, I feel that pushing a lengthy policy is a form of
harassment in itself and I'm getting tired of it.

I see that board-list is CCed in this entire thread and I'm not sure I
get the reason. If the board is the body that makes this decision,
then we'll of course comply with the decision. Just know that the
organization team disapproves the proposed policy.

As a board member, I'm not sure that I get the reason either. The
policy was put to the vote which was then abandoned, and the board has
now been asked to agree on the policy without a vote (which will not
happen as there is no consensus).

The responsibility for organising the event has been delegated to the
organising team, so I feel that it is up to you to choose what you
want to do.

Thanks for taking the time to organise the event and deal with the
issues that have arisen. I hope that they will not distract you for
much longer.

--
Alexandre Franke