Re: [guadec-list] Visa section

Hi!

There is something I'd like to clarify here. Nobody (at least not me) have blamed the invitation letter as the cause of visa rejection but I am saying it could be made simple and aid in the process of successful visa application. An invitation letter that is not explicit in it's intentions and scope raises many red flags about the applicant's intention in visiting a foreign country. I cannot overstress the fact that schengen countries are weary of illegal immigrants due to the unique power of processing a schengen visa (90 day period to travel 25 different countries without a check!)

An invitation letter not drafted to cater to tourist type visa application is only *one of the* causes for rejection.

Thanks.

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 12:34 AM, Germán Póo-Caamaño <gpoo gnome org> wrote:
On Wed, 2013-05-29 at 13:36 +0200, Robert Kratky wrote:
> Dne St 29. května 2013 13:28:18, Florian Nadge napsal(a):
> > Hi Rui,
> > My experience is that this so called letter does not help. The Czech
> > embassy unusually asks to see the registration conformation. Sindhu had a
> > very bad basically lost a lot of money because she assumed that she could
> > travel when she could not. Maybe we could call this letter Confirmation of
> > Participation or something along these lines and make clear that this is in
> > no way a guarantee to get a visa.
> >
> > Robert,
> > do you think this makes sense, can you send a letter of confirmation to
> > help along the visa process?
> >

> As I have said before, we have no problem with sending these letters.
> I'm quite sure that the letters won't be of any real help in the
> visa-application process (in my experience, the officials do not even
> read such letters - instead, they want to verify that the applicant
> has compelling reasons for returning back to their home country, such
> as family, career, studies, etc.). That, however, is another matter
> entirely, and I'm not the one to judge that.

This can vary from people to people, even in the same embassy.  Some are
asked for more documents, some others are not asked for any document at
all.  Same with questions.

I agree that the letter by themselves do not guarantee anything, it is
nice to have just in case.

If we do not send invitation letters, we are going to be blamed for
rejections. If we send them, we are going to be blamed for rejections as
well.

However, in the last 6 years we have been requested more than 60
letters.  In less than 5 cases the visa had been rejected, something I
can barely point the invitation letter as the cause.

In any case, it is up to you and we will respect whatever you decide.

--
Germán Poo-Caamaño
http://calcifer.org/