Re: [guadec-list] Call for volunteers?

On Tue, 2013-05-28 at 18:24 +0200, Florian Nadge wrote:
Hi Jozef,

do you have any ideas. I actually thought we would somehow split tasks
but this really needs one person.

I have no idea.

I would suggest myself. Currently, I cannot estimate my available time.
I will have better knowledge of my schedule in three weeks.

---
Florian Nadge, GUADEC 2013

GUADEC c/o Red Hat| Purkynova 71/99| 61200 Brno| tel: +420 603 764 858

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 6:16 PM, Petr Kovar <pknbe volny cz> wrote:
        Hey,

        On Mon, 27 May 2013 21:01:10 +0100
        Ekaterina Gerasimova <kittykat3756 gmail com> wrote:

        > On 27 May 2013 14:08, Debarshi Ray <rishi is lostca se>
        wrote:

        > > > Hi, does anyone have any idea when the call for
        volunteers will happen?

        > > We can do it now. Is there anything that needs to be
        sorted out before
        > > that can happen?
        > >

        > Rishi and I spoke earlier and here is a summary of what we
        concluded:
        > * the volunteers page is now up at
        > https://live.gnome.org/GUADEC/2013/Volunteers (as per
        previous years)
        > ** we need a mailing list to add them to, this has been
        guadec-list last
        > year, but guadec-local is also fine
        > * the volunteer coordinator needs to be *local*
        > * volunteer coordinators from the last two years need to be
        asked to help
        > out
        > *** from 2011: Patricia Santana Cruz
        <patriciasantanacruz gmail com>
        > *** from 2012: still tracing, got as far as Santiago
        Saavedra who has more
        > information
        > * the volunteer coordinator needs one phone (usually with a
        pre-paid SIM)
        > that can be passed to whomever is in charge of volunteers so
        that all
        > volunteers can get in touch with them at any point
        > * the volunteer coordinator phone needs to be pre-programmed
        with mobile
        > contact numbers for all volunteers (this was a point of
        failure in some of
        > the previous conferences) - volunteers usually use their own
        phones/SIMs
        > because this is only in case of problems and walkie-talkies
        not working
        > * list of volunteer tasks needs to be decided on
        > ** session chairs (2 per room)
        > ** info desk, the volunteers need to know about or have:
        > *** maps (usually available from the Tourist Information
        office, ask them
        > for a box)
        > *** details of where the closest shops and pharmacies are
        > *** display maps of the venue (if needed)
        > ** badge printing/folding (before event)
        > ** evening events (parties)
        > ** runners
        > ** extras in case someone doesn't turn up (usually 1-2
        people per day do
        > this)
        > * do volunteers get free refreshments and registration? (as
        per previous
        > years)
        > * each volunteer needs one t-shirt per day, extras must be
        available
        > * there must be a volunteer debriefing before the start and
        after the end
        > of each conference day - especially important on the first
        day
        > * ideally, all volunteers must arrive at least the day
        before the
        > conference starts and have a full tour of the venue
        >
        > Considerations for timetabling volunteers:
        > * Full day of work is better than an hour here and there
        > * People who do volunteering during the day should not be
        volunteering the
        > same evening
        > * Try to timetable volunteers according to what *they* want
        - it looks
        > really bad if a volunteer misses out on a talk that they
        want to see
        > because they are having to do something else
        >

        > >  > I would very much like to encourage them to volunteer
        > > > help out at the conference. For this, I need some link
        or information
        > > about
        > > > who they need to contact to volunteer.
        > >
        > > Shouldn't they just be contacting you? :-)
        > >

        > No, as I haven't volunteered for it :) I will, of course,
        help however I
        > can, but the coordinator really needs to be a local so that
        they are well
        > acquainted with the venue and can speak the local language.

        These are all very good points, Kat, thanks for raising them.

        Being local with a decent knowledge of Czech (ehm), I am happy
        help out with the volunteering, but I would prefer somebody
        with real
        experiences in this field to be the coordinator, preferably
        someone
        actually studying at FIT VUT. Do we have such a volunteer?

        Cheers,
        Petr Kovar