Re: [guadec-list] Call for volunteers?

On 27 May 2013 14:08, Debarshi Ray <rishi is lostca se> wrote:
> Hi, does anyone have any idea when the call for volunteers will happen?

We can do it now. Is there anything that needs to be sorted out before
that can happen?

Rishi and I spoke earlier and here is a summary of what we concluded:
* the volunteers page is now up at https://live.gnome.org/GUADEC/2013/Volunteers (as per previous years)
** we need a mailing list to add them to, this has been guadec-list last year, but guadec-local is also fine
* the volunteer coordinator needs to be *local*
* volunteer coordinators from the last two years need to be asked to help out
*** from 2011: Patricia Santana Cruz <patriciasantanacruz gmail com>
*** from 2012: still tracing, got as far as Santiago Saavedra who has more information
* the volunteer coordinator needs one phone (usually with a pre-paid SIM) that can be passed to whomever is in charge of volunteers so that all volunteers can get in touch with them at any point
* the volunteer coordinator phone needs to be pre-programmed with mobile contact numbers for all volunteers (this was a point of failure in some of the previous conferences) - volunteers usually use their own phones/SIMs because this is only in case of problems and walkie-talkies not working
* list of volunteer tasks needs to be decided on
** session chairs (2 per room)
** info desk, the volunteers need to know about or have:
*** maps (usually available from the Tourist Information office, ask them for a box)
*** details of where the closest shops and pharmacies are
*** display maps of the venue (if needed)
** badge printing/folding (before event)
** evening events (parties)
** runners
** extras in case someone doesn't turn up (usually 1-2 people per day do this)
* do volunteers get free refreshments and registration? (as per previous years)
* each volunteer needs one t-shirt per day, extras must be available
* there must be a volunteer debriefing before the start and after the end of each conference day - especially important on the first day
* ideally, all volunteers must arrive at least the day before the conference starts and have a full tour of the venue

Considerations for timetabling volunteers:
* Full day of work is better than an hour here and there
* People who do volunteering during the day should not be volunteering the same evening
* Try to timetable volunteers according to what *they* want - it looks really bad if a volunteer misses out on a talk that they want to see because they are having to do something else

> I would very much like to encourage them to volunteer to
> help out at the conference. For this, I need some link or information about
> who they need to contact to volunteer.

Shouldn't they just be contacting you? :-)

No, as I haven't volunteered for it :) I will, of course, help however I can, but the coordinator really needs to be a local so that they are well acquainted with the venue and can speak the local language.