Re: [guadec-list] Call for volunteers?

Hi Jozef,
do you have any ideas. I actually thought we would somehow split tasks but this really needs one person.

---
Florian Nadge, GUADEC 2013
GUADEC c/o Red Hat| Purkynova 71/99| 61200 Brno| tel: +420 603 764 858

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 6:16 PM, Petr Kovar <pknbe volny cz> wrote:
Hey,

On Mon, 27 May 2013 21:01:10 +0100
Ekaterina Gerasimova <kittykat3756 gmail com> wrote:

> On 27 May 2013 14:08, Debarshi Ray <rishi is lostca se> wrote:
>
> > > Hi, does anyone have any idea when the call for volunteers will happen?
> >
> > We can do it now. Is there anything that needs to be sorted out before
> > that can happen?
> >

> Rishi and I spoke earlier and here is a summary of what we concluded:
> * the volunteers page is now up at
> https://live.gnome.org/GUADEC/2013/Volunteers (as per previous years)
> ** we need a mailing list to add them to, this has been guadec-list last
> year, but guadec-local is also fine
> * the volunteer coordinator needs to be *local*
> * volunteer coordinators from the last two years need to be asked to help
> out
> *** from 2011: Patricia Santana Cruz <patriciasantanacruz gmail com>
> *** from 2012: still tracing, got as far as Santiago Saavedra who has more
> information
> * the volunteer coordinator needs one phone (usually with a pre-paid SIM)
> that can be passed to whomever is in charge of volunteers so that all
> volunteers can get in touch with them at any point
> * the volunteer coordinator phone needs to be pre-programmed with mobile
> contact numbers for all volunteers (this was a point of failure in some of
> the previous conferences) - volunteers usually use their own phones/SIMs
> because this is only in case of problems and walkie-talkies not working
> * list of volunteer tasks needs to be decided on
> ** session chairs (2 per room)
> ** info desk, the volunteers need to know about or have:
> *** maps (usually available from the Tourist Information office, ask them
> for a box)
> *** details of where the closest shops and pharmacies are
> *** display maps of the venue (if needed)
> ** badge printing/folding (before event)
> ** evening events (parties)
> ** runners
> ** extras in case someone doesn't turn up (usually 1-2 people per day do
> this)
> * do volunteers get free refreshments and registration? (as per previous
> years)
> * each volunteer needs one t-shirt per day, extras must be available
> * there must be a volunteer debriefing before the start and after the end
> of each conference day - especially important on the first day
> * ideally, all volunteers must arrive at least the day before the
> conference starts and have a full tour of the venue
>
> Considerations for timetabling volunteers:
> * Full day of work is better than an hour here and there
> * People who do volunteering during the day should not be volunteering the
> same evening
> * Try to timetable volunteers according to what *they* want - it looks
> really bad if a volunteer misses out on a talk that they want to see
> because they are having to do something else
>

> >  > I would very much like to encourage them to volunteer to
> > > help out at the conference. For this, I need some link or information
> [...]

These are all very good points, Kat, thanks for raising them.

Being local with a decent knowledge of Czech (ehm), I am happy to
help out with the volunteering, but I would prefer somebody with real
experiences in this field to be the coordinator, preferably someone
actually studying at FIT VUT. Do we have such a volunteer?

Cheers,
Petr Kovar