Re: [guadec-list] Keynote speakers brainstorming

Hi,

On 05/21/2013 06:30 PM, Allan Day wrote:
GUADEC is an opportunity for us to speak to each other and to
highlight important ideas and initiatives for GNOME, for this reason,
I am generally in favour of is having more keynotes direct from the
GNOME community. This can easily be balanced with having less familiar
names come to speak also.

Two obvious possibilities for this year would be to ask Karen if she
would like to keynote, or to see if Lennart would like to talk about
application sandboxing.

Keynotes have traditionally been a mix of aspirational and concrete -
some keynotes from the GNOME/free software community setting direction,
outlining a technical vision for the project, and some keynotes from
outside our core community, helping inspire, open us to new
perspectives, and entertain.

We have had keynotes from key GNOME users like Largo, Andalucia and
Extremadura, from big GNOME supporters like Mark Shuttleworth, Miguel de
Icaza, Nat Friedman, Ari Jaaksi (back in the day), Walter Bender and
Yorba, and of course from core GNOME contributors (Federico, Alp Toker,
Christopher Blizzard Owen Taylor, Jeff Waugh, Alex Graveley, the list
goes on.

But then we've also had other keynotes, from designers and user
experience experts (Kathy Sierra, Leisa Reichelt, Claire Rowland),
domain experts on security, the web, accessibility, software freedom...
all things core to our mission. And then the odd and wonderful keynotes
like Thomas Thwaite's toaster, R0ml's computer literacy talk on
rhetoric, Skud on diversity, ...

This year, I would love to see a talk on GNOME's place in the larger
ecosystem of computing today. Someone like Stephen O'Grady presenting
the potential axes of development for desktop Linux in a cloudy world.

In short, we will have plenty of community members talking to each other
- even in the keynotes. I see one or two keynotes per year when we
choose not to navel gaze or preach to the choir to be a good thing.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary, Lyon, France