Re: [guadec-list] Gnomies 2013 - the list

Hi!

On 2013-07-09 13:07, Marcel Kolaja <marcel kolaja redhat com> wrote:
Public domain is fine too. However, I'm a bit surprised that the linked
movies fit into this category, as the copy monopoly lasts for 70 years
after the death of all authors. Could you please elaborate on it a bit
more, David? Thanks!

Night of the Living Dead is a bit special, as the original theatrical release was never under copyright in the US:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_of_the_Living_Dead#Copyright_status

House on Haunted Hill was published before 1964 and did not have its copyright renewed, so the old term of 28 years from publishing of the work would have applied:

https://archive.org/post/422355/easy-copyright-question-for-house-on-haunted-hill

It is important to find the original theatrical print, which I linked to, which has orchestral theme music without lyrics, as the version with lyrics had its copyright renewed and so is not in the public domain.

D.O.A. is in a similar situation regarding not renewing the copyright (or rather, renewing it too late and the copyright office finding the renewal invalid):

http://chart.copyrightdata.com/ch17.html

It is easier to search for works published in the US before 1923, as those are all in the public domain, but there are many works (such as those above) that are outside of the usual life-plus-70 years term.

--
http://amigadave.com/