Re: [guadec-list] code of conduct/anti-harassment at GUADEC

On 03.01.2013 19:30, Simon Budig wrote:
Karen Sandler (karen gnome org) wrote:
I think it's a good idea to talk about it briefly
at the beginning of ours to draw attention to the issue! Do you think
that's a good idea?

Absolutely, I think it is a must to talk about it, a policy hidden
somewhere in a dark corner of the site won't help, it also is vital to
have the relevant contact number known among the attendees.

Oh yes.

The policy should also be available on the website as soon as it has been fully specified - simply the effect of having such a policy can be the tipping point for some people to decide for attending the conference. Then, the organizers get the chance to live up to the attendees' expectations.

It's not the first time the GUADEC policy has been discussed, see:
http://blogs.gnome.org/danni/2012/06/20/why-we-need-anti-harassment-policies/

And then there's the first comment to that blog post - probably a point where some organizers might despair. Try to address this concern without discriminating people even further, without giving someone the feeling that they are an additional burden...

My special concern with the policy in its current state:

from http://piratepad.net/GQFAbjQmo7

"The organization team can be reached

    in person at the registration desk
    by phone at +34 XXX XXX
    by email at guadec-list gnome org"

Seriously? If I'm going to report harassment at the registration desk, will I have to wait till the registration desk is no longer busy handling registrations? Who's going to answer the phone, do they speak my lgnauge? Will anything I report by mail go to an arbitrary list of recipients?

This can be addressed in a short talk about the conference policy - and it may be a good idea to introduce the organization team (at least the people who will be at the desk, on the phone or reading the mails) on stage. Maybe even a short talk on every day, if the teams are working in shifts.

And about local law enforcement... will they know that there is a conference at the current venue? What do I tell them, especially if I don't speak the local language; can I expect them to understand $language (English/French/German/Spanish/...)? Will I face charges if I call them for a reason that wouldn't have required their interference?

--
Regards,
Michael