Re: [guadec-list] code of conduct/anti-harassment at GUADEC

Karen Sandler (karen gnome org) wrote:
> and wanted to see if we can schedule a short talk at the beginning of the
> conference about our code of conduct and anti-harassment expectations.
[...]
> I feel that at GNOME we are a leader in this area, and I'd like us to do
> the very best job we can!

A word of caution: If you set this ("we are a leader") as the baseline
of the discussion you might hurt your ability to see the problems.

I attended the 29c3 event referenced in Asher Wolfs blog post and its
athmosphere is similiar - if not more relaxed - than the guadecs I have
attended. I think the hacker community in general is doing a pretty good
job (or at least in europe, I have heard bad things about the defcon in
LA). And yeah, I fully realize that I am talking as a white male, so I
might miss a lot of the stuff going on.

Unfortunately the "creeper cards" referenced in Asher Wolfs blog post
were badly introduced (they were done independantly of the organizers)
and misused at the congress and consequently utterly failed in bringing
the message across.

29c3 was a huge event with >6000 tickets sold and probably >4000 people
at the premises simultaneously. There was an Awareness-team on site
specifically targeted at harassment, there have been about 20 reports to
the team, most of these got resolved, although one person hat to be
removed from the premsises.

I think that is a pretty good statistics there.

Please do not believe that GNOME somehow is more special than other
hacker communities. This assumption will only hinder you in recognizing
the problem.

Bye,
        Simon

--