Re: [guadec-list] code of conduct/anti-harassment at GUADEC

On Thu, January 3, 2013 7:06 am, Simon Budig wrote:
> Karen Sandler (karen gnome org) wrote:
>> and wanted to see if we can schedule a short talk at the beginning of
>> the
>> conference about our code of conduct and anti-harassment expectations.
> [...]
>> I feel that at GNOME we are a leader in this area, and I'd like us to do
>> the very best job we can!
>
> A word of caution: If you set this ("we are a leader") as the baseline
> of the discussion you might hurt your ability to see the problems.

Fair enough - what I should have said is that we try our best to be
inclusive. And I guess we actually lead the Outreach Program for Women
that multiple organizations now participate in.  But you are right that
this really isn't relevant at all - it's about how to have the fewest bad
incidents across the board and doing what we can to prevent them.

<snip>

Thanks for the 29c3 report.

> Please do not believe that GNOME somehow is more special than other
> hacker communities. This assumption will only hinder you in recognizing
> the problem.

Absolutely. My point is really that discrimination occurs at a lot of free
software conferences and I think it's a good idea to talk about it briefly
at the beginning of ours to draw attention to the issue! Do you think
that's a good idea?

karen