Re: [guadec-list] guadec-list Digest, Vol 78, Issue 10

Hi,

On 05/22/2012 12:16 PM, Xabier Rodriguez Calvar wrote:
The first years we did lightning talks, we had people sign up directly
on the wiki - the only organisation involved was sending out emails&
blogging to let ppl know it was there.

Which section of the wiki can we use for that?

We used the GUADEC 2006 wiki page back in the day. The GUADEC 2012 wiki page would be a good candidate (might need some tidying up first?) - but bear in mind I'm only providing historical context, in recent years we have had a "call for lightning talks", and I think that's what Vincent wanted to do this year too.

I guess they would be 5 minutes as usual, but I need to know first how
much total time we have to know how many we can present. I was planning
to make something like "(totaltime/5)-1" to have some margin and be
strict with with times. So, how much time do we have in the program?

I'd do (totaltime/6) - basically 20-30s to present an upcoming speaker and get their slides up (works well as a tag-team job, one guy bringing up the slides while the showman calls up the next speaker), and a 15-20s margin at the end if needed.

Oh - one other thing: someone needs to make an effort to get people to
send their slides, if they have any, to one person beforehand -  laptop
swapping should not be going on in the middle of lightning talks.

Yes. I was already taking that into account. I would request people to
upload the presentations in PDF or send them to me by email.
So long as you're aware that most people won't want to do that :) Or they'll arrive with a USB key 5 minutes before the talks start (or worse! 5 minutes after). So - good luck! :)

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary