Re: [guadec-list] Terms and conditions for registration

Koen/Germán

Typically clauses that try to prevent people from taking "unauthorized"
photographs or recordings are because the organizers want to own the
production rights (and thus any profits) from any such photos or
recordings of the event.  I doubt that this is an issue at GUADEC.

At a free conference, we should be promoting free licensing instead.
I think we should clearly allow people to take any photos or recordings
that they wish (as long as they are not being disruptive).

If we were to have a requirement, it should be that any photographs
or recordings distributed to the public be licensed under a reasonably
free FSF or Creative Commons (or similar) license (I'd suggest one that
allows commercial use, though attribution would be okay with me).

I really do not like clauses that prevent people from doing reasonable
things like making non-disruptive recordings.

If we need a clause that informs people that they need to not be
disruptive, whether by making recordings or otherwise, we should have
a clause that says so clearly.  This is unrelated to making recordings
and I see no need to enmesh these topics together.

Brian