Re: [guadec-list] Terms and conditions for registration

On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 10:05:48AM -0400, Germán Póo-Caamaño wrote:
> It would raise concerns from the community, because it would be the
> first time GUADEC has terms and conditions.

See also my reply to Dave's email on this, which i just sent. We'll
run without t&c.

Regardless, some remarks to your questions:

> What is the purpose of the ticket?

To speed up the welcoming process on day 1 of the conference.

> > [...]
> > Visitors consent to being filmed, photographed and recorded as members
> > of the audience. The resulting film footage, images and recordings may
> > be used to promote the event and its activities in print, in the media
> > and on websites. The organisation will endeavour to inform visitors
> > prior to the commencement of a presentation if filming is to take
> > place.
>
> This item seems contradictory with the following one:
>
> > The unauthorised use of photographic and recording equipment is
> > prohibited.

Not necesarilly. If one authorises everyone to use photographic and recording
equipment, there is no unauthorised use.. Anyway, pedantic and irrelevant now
that we run without t&c.

> > The unauthorised use of laser pens and mobile phones in all of the
> > venue auditoriums is prohibited.
>
> What is the purpose of this item?
>
> Several attendants works in the mobile industry, so prohibit the use of
> mobile phones is like prohibit the use of laptops in auditoriums.  I do
> think we will receive complains for this item.

Ok, the purpose is to prevent a lecture hall full of ringing mobiles and
people speaking into their phones thereby disrupting the presentation.

> > Visitors shall indemnify the organisation from and against all costs,
> > charges, claims, expenses, demands and liabilities suffered or
> > incurred by the organisation as a result of any action or omission by
> > the visitor (including in relation to any damage caused to the event
> > venue or any property therein) and/or in connection with any breach by
> > visitor of any of these terms and conditions.
>
> It seems everybody will have to contract an insurance to attend to
> GUADEC.

Of course, you usually travel without insurance?? Scary! :)

Gr,

Koen