Re: [guadec-list] Press team

So I think you and the current members of the press team need to
have a 30 minute discussion and get a brain dump.  Then we can come
up with some good stuff.  What you've got here I really good.

Also can you give me access to the wiki?  My current login doesn't seem
to allow me to edit pages.  I want to add a press team page there for
organizational purposes.

Following are my comments..

On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 08:21:16AM +0200, Quim Gil wrote:
> Two important things:
>
> - Currently we have 293 participants registered and we aim to have 500.
> We have less than 4 weeks to reach that number, and the press work plays
> an important role.

Agreed.  We need to generate buzz.  I think we can

a) start having people mentioning it in their blogs, build up technorati
   and other blog engines.

b) we want to particularly generate it in Europe since it'll be a lot
   easier to get to.

> - About international press, I don't think we will get many journalists
> from abroad but a) we can explicitely invite those we would want to come
> and visit us (i.e. a European correspondant of Wired) and b) we can keep
> them informed during the GUADEC days anyway, so they publish stuff.

Excellent idea.  We can put that down in the wiki and organize someone to
make that contact.

> Also, international press have correspondants in Barcelona, i we build a
> sexy story they might pic the car and come to Vilanova one Core day to
> see what's going on.

Right, we need to give the impression that this conference will have
worldwide impact.  That should perk things up.

> We also need to build news stories for them, thinking from their
> perspective. Jim Gettys and OLPC is one news story. Simon Phipps
> explaining how big is the Asian move to free software can be a news
> story. Federico GNOME co-founder thinking of to make GNOME faster than
> other popular OSs can be a news story.

I wonder if we should start doing meetings regularly to get this
accomplished.

> I believe there are interesting news stories behind most of our
> sponsors, and they will help us making them known. Waldo Bastian might
> have a story on why Intel is so interested in free software. There might

Well, if you read Waldo's interview on GNOME Journal, it's sort of
thinly veiled as to why Intel is interested in desktops. :-)  However,
Waldo and I can talk about that.  I have a fairly good idea why.

> We need to generate a list of people "journalists can
> interview" (pointing to them who has a potential interesting interview)
> and help them contacting these people and arranging an interview, either
> life at Vilanova or by phone...

Yep.  In plan.

> I mean, no wonder if we go produce the same type of press release saying
> that the GNOME community will meet in Vilanova blah blah and then we
> don't get any relevant coverage out of the usual notes in the usual
> suspects media.

I agree, we need to produce something interesting that says "we are meeting
and what happens affects the world".  That's the kind of marketing you want.

sri