Re: [guadec-list] Press team

Two important things:

- Currently we have 293 participants registered and we aim to have 500.
We have less than 4 weeks to reach that number, and the press work plays
an important role.

- About international press, I don't think we will get many journalists
from abroad but a) we can explicitely invite those we would want to come
and visit us (i.e. a European correspondant of Wired) and b) we can keep
them informed during the GUADEC days anyway, so they publish stuff.
Also, international press have correspondants in Barcelona, i we build a
sexy story they might pic the car and come to Vilanova one Core day to
see what's going on.

We also need to build news stories for them, thinking from their
perspective. Jim Gettys and OLPC is one news story. Simon Phipps
explaining how big is the Asian move to free software can be a news
story. Federico GNOME co-founder thinking of to make GNOME faster than
other popular OSs can be a news story.

I believe there are interesting news stories behind most of our
sponsors, and they will help us making them known. Waldo Bastian might
have a story on why Intel is so interested in free software. There might
be also a story behind Google (known by the media as a WWW search
engine) supporting the conference of something relatively known as a
graphic desktop. I believe there are many news stories behind Nokia,
another brand everybody knows and... what are they doing in this free
software world.

Then we have many small news stories: a guy from Mongolia coming to
GUADEC after organizing the first Linux install party of that country
with 800 participants. 100.000€ invested in accessibility projects by
the Catalan government. An update of the Guadalinex and gnuLinEx
projects, covering the south of Spain with about 300.000 desktops...

We need to generate a list of people "journalists can
interview" (pointing to them who has a potential interesting interview)
and help them contacting these people and arranging an interview, either
life at Vilanova or by phone...

I mean, no wonder if we go produce the same type of press release saying
that the GNOME community will meet in Vilanova blah blah and then we
don't get any relevant coverage out of the usual notes in the usual
suspects media.

El ds 27 de 05 del 2006 a les 19:02 -0700, en/na Sri Ramkrishna va
escriure: