[guadec-list] Accommodation plans

Last week I went to Vilanova mainly to check the accommodation
possibilities. Here is a report and some suggestions (and doubts) to
stablish an accommodation plan. We need to agree something soon in order
to get good prices and assure the availability.

- The Youth Hostel it's not like I thought. Catalan youth hostels follow
usually the same European standards as we found i.e. in Stuttgart.
However, Vilanova's is a former school internat in a Franciscan school.
Rooms with 10 beds and, well, basic facilities. It has all what we would
need from a hostel (i.e. all we used in Stuttgart) but... nothing else.
 There are a couple of pictures http://beta.guadec.org/node/163 and
http://beta.guadec.org/node/164 so you get an idea. They have 60 beds
available and they would reserve all of them the whole week for us. The
price par person would be 16,5€ person/day including breakfast.

- Instead, the camping is pretty cool. First class. It's not a field
where you punt your tent. They have fixed bungalows with different
levels of quality. You pay for a bungalow and then it's up to you to
fill it with 1 or 5 people. They have 2 big swimming polls, all basic
facilities (including Internet cafe, planning to have wifi everywhere on
that time). The bungalows are organised in streets and I could avoid
thinking of a GNOME Village while walking around. You have all details
in their website http://vilanovapark.es/ including plans of the
bungalows - http://vilanovapark.es/06_bungalows.php . The bungalows are
well equipped, some even have air conditioned (temperature is not a big
issue on that time and there are trees everywhere). The camping is out
of town but there are buses every 30' (it takes 15-20 minutes, depending
on where you stop). We could provide some basic bus service that would
reach the GUADEC location in 10'.

The prices would depend on the reversation we make, also depends on how
many people are in a bungalow. A reference could be 17-20€ par
person/day. The camping has place for... 2.013 people (but it's huge).
As for today there is space available for 700 people on those dates, but
they work with travel agents and they recommend us to book soon if we
want a reservation for +100 people. The prices anad availability will
differ a lot from making a reservation now or someone just jumping in in
the last weeks.

I'm for promoting the camping as defalt option and make a group
reservation for about 150 people to negotiate good prices with them.
This would be a GNOME Village. I would ask the community to communicate
intentions to come in order to tune this group reservation better. This
would be for the people thinking of staying mainly the whole week.

Apart from this, there is an Aparthotel -
http://www.cityhotels.es//secciones/nuestros_hoteles/fotos/fotos_apartahotel_apark.aspx?lang=en
- just in case we need a similar option (a hotel + kitchen) at a more
Executive / Business class level. The prices go higher, but still
cheaper than a hotel for +2 people sharing.

And then there are two 3 star hotels we could use for those speakers and
similar not wanting to go to the camping or staying just 1-2 nights:
http://hotelceferino.com/ and http://www.hotelcesar.net

There are hotels and hostels with 2 and 1 star, but I think we as
organisation should promote the camping instead for those below a 3 star
hotel need.

If anybody needs 4 or 5 star hotels they can deal themselves with the
big offer available in Sitges, neighbour town 8km away, with trains
every 15 minutes, buses, and taxis.

What you think? There are many details missing, just ask?

--
Quim Gil - http://desdeamericaconamor.org