Re: [guadec-list] GUADEC weekly meeting reminder

Hey,

On Mon, 2006-03-06 at 11:33 +0100, Quim Gil wrote:
> - Call for Participation. Ideas and action to increase the volume of
> sessions submitted. We could improve the site and blog more in the
> Planet, but there must be something else...
>
> - Online registration. After three months there has not been a
> remarkable advance on this. We need to see if we activate the red alert.
>
> - Website. It's time to leave the beta stage if we want to seduce more
> and better sponsors, participants and speakers. We can leave this to
> another moment as webhackers team, though.

Sorry guys, but the website really, really sucks at this point. I
appreciate all the *amazing* work you've done on it, but there's a lot
of information currently on it that's proving an utter pain to get to or
to see from the home page.

I'm sure some information or web design architect could have a field
day, but I think at this stage we need to be highlighting the major
points -

	o When it is, and where it is
		- maps, airport information, etc..
	o What are the accomodation options
		- hotels, motels, youth hostels, apartments, camping
	o Call for papers
		- dates, content, schedule
	o Sponsorship
	o Press

Typically most interested parties don't care for the new topics form -
guadec meaning, improving call for papers form, ... This isn't relevant
to 99% of people attending, and yet they're taking up some pretty
prominent attention on the home page. I don't think it's a Theme thing,
it's the basic web structure that needs to get changed.

Like it or hate it, there's a lot of merits that 2005.guadec.org had
over drupal - there was a pretty consistent set of navigation, and a lot
of pages that could be copied over from previous years. Your call
though, since you guys are the ones doing the work - I'm just saying it
how I see it as a conference delegate.

Glynn