Re: Scribus help (was Re: [guadec-list] Brochure design settled - need content work)

Hi,

In general, you should be using Scribus 1.3 (the latest release or CVS snapshot) since a lot of things have changed, and it's quite usable - it wouldn't surprise me that Ludovic has been using this version.

I've added a couple of Scribus heads to the CC, hopefully they can point you in the direction of basic help.

Quim Gil wrote:
I'm trying to edit the Scribus file. Can anyone assist?

I understand I can't write directly to the canvas. I wish I could select
a box (or something like that) to edit the text inside. I've found the
icon supposed to "edit text" but I can't select a text field to activate it.

You can edit text boxes 2 ways - with the story editor (the icon looks a little like a graphics tablet) or the text tool (the icon is the A). There are probably other ways, but these two are the most common.

If you clock on the story board, then click in a text box, you get a text entry which shows up, you type in (or import) your text, and it automatically gets set up with paragraphs and the like. You can associate styles with given paragraphs (say a header style, or a paragraph style). There is a setting (I don't recall which one) which makes text boxes overflow automatically to an auto-generated text box on the next page, which is automatically liked to the first one.

scribus.net has not the best help documents either and even "just
Google" is not givin interesting results.

The tutorial http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&page=tutorials/freedomyug/scribustutorial might be the best place to start.

I have Scribus 1.2.1, just is case this is relevant.

See above.

Cheers,
Dave.

--