Re: [guadec-list] Registration fees

Hi,

Murray Cumming wrote:
The poll survey wasn't very useful. However, in general the response to
the Stuttgart Fees, even after we'd fixed the communication problems
was:

1. Enough speakers complained about paying (or even the suggestion that
they might want to pay) that it's clearly very bad PR to even suggest
it, so we shouldn't do that in 2006. However, a completely separate
Donation button would allow speakers to support the event financially
without being able to complain that they were being asked directly to do
that.

I agree. Speakers and press don't pay registration fees.

2. Quite a few people complained about paying for anything. We need to
2.1 Make it very clear where the money goes.

We can publish the semi-detailed GUADEC accounts before announcing registration fees this year. And we can make the extra effort to contact ad board members early to sound them out on company registration levels.

2.2 Aim for free registration. Try to budget for this and try to get
enough sponsorship for it, but don't promise it unless it's likely.

The key word here is budget. The baseline is the cost of infrastructure, labour, equipment, and then we need to decide how much to spend on travel. That gives us a minimum break-even mark. If we can get to that with sponsorship only, then we can do a FOSDEM style donate-registration.

For info: FOSDEM get gifts sponsored for conference attendees - a free subscription to Linux Magazine France, a t-shirt, an O'Reilly book, a ticket for the conference dinner, etc - which get given to people who donate €50 (and most do). If you don't donate, you don't get the pack, but you're free to attend.

3. We must make it very clear that support is available for
registration, travel, and accommodation for GNOME Foundation members.
That's never been offered enough, and even the board doesn't know who
actually got financial support in the past, though we know that it cost
us tens of thousands of Euros. Transparency would be a big PR win.

It's a little unfair to say that it's never been offered enough, when we've spent (according to published figures) over half the budget on travel and accommodation over the past two years.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
David Neary