Re: [Gtranslator-devel] Preferences and the GNOME HIG

Ross Golder wrote:

If you want to use it I can change that. I think it should be easy,
there are already a callback when something changes (unless it is to
slow to just update everything).

IMHO, the 'changed' callback should simply set a 'changed' flag. Then,
when the dialog is closed, if the changed flag is not set, it can just
destroy the dialog, otherwise it needs to apply all the fields, and then
destroy the diaog. Does this make sense? See the latest 'prefs.c' (and
header_stuff.c) for an example of this.

Preferences dialog comforming to HIG should apply changes immediately. You
uncheck a checkbox, and value in gconf is set to false. You leave pref dialog
open, do something in application -- the pref should already be in effect.
"Close" button does nothing else except closing dialog.

If you have some "changed" flag... then this will be a rewrite of prefs which
will need another rewrite (or stay non-HIG-compliant). Of course, removing
options or changing their layout can (and should) be done first.

Look at the code of good applications in GNOME desktop and base your work
on how it is done there... Just moving around current prefs code won't work.

I haven't looked into gtranslator code for a while, so sorry if I miss something :)

Keep up good work,
Gediminas