Re: [Gtranslator-devel] Preferences and the GNOME HIG

On จ., 2003-07-07 at 02:06, Søren Wedel Nielsen wrote:
> > I'm going to finish off the one I'm working on, as it's based on Fatih's
> > original layout etc. I may then pick yours up again and apply it to CVS
> > instead (once I've tested it a bit more).

I committed my fix-up of Fatih's prefs last night. Due to the text used
in the notebook labels, it currently looks a bit too wide. You've
definitely got the right idea by merging some of the sparser tabs
together to make less tabs.

> No, I agree - but I wanted to get your opinion on the rest before I
> started to work on that.

I've already fixed this in prefs.c - it only has a close button.

> If you want to use it I can change that. I think it should be easy,
> there are already a callback when something changes (unless it is to
> slow to just update everything).

IMHO, the 'changed' callback should simply set a 'changed' flag. Then,
when the dialog is closed, if the changed flag is not set, it can just
destroy the dialog, otherwise it needs to apply all the fields, and then
destroy the diaog. Does this make sense? See the latest 'prefs.c' (and
header_stuff.c) for an example of this.

> The comboboxes should also be changed to optionmenus:
> http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.2/gtk/gtk-question-index.html#id2904238
> But that requires some rewriting of the list initialisations.
> Not very important and I will not do it unless I know it will be used.

Agreed. This thought crossed my mind whilst I was working on it. Some of
the ComboBoxes should definitely by OptionsMenus. If you don't do it
first, I'll do it eventually.

BTW, your work is appreciated and will be used.  As long as things stay
quiet with work this morning, I'll probably continue by trying to merge
the best bits of your prefs.c into the existing prefs.c.

Regards,

--
Ross

P.S. Don't forget you can discuss gtranslator on
<irc://irc.gnome.org/#gtranslator> too