Re: EXTERNAL: ANNOUNCE: gtkmm 3.89.3

On 1/21/2017 8:12 AM, D. B. wrote:
I think whatever method you are using to obtain gtkmm is extremely suboptimal.
I won't argue that.

Even in the GTK+2 branch, there's a 2.24 available of gtkmm.
I could be wrong but it seems to me that the Windows side has
always been behind the progress in the Linux world.  The only
success that I ever got with gtkmm on Windows has been with
a gtkmm 2.22 Windows installer found here:
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/binaries/win32/gtkmm/2.22/
released about 6 years ago.  Since then I have never found anything
that worked for me.  If there was a 2.24 installer for Windows,
I never found it.

> Secondly, you should give a try to MSYS2, which provides
native Windows packages of gtkmm and many other useful libraries, and it tracks upstream releases
I got excited for a moment about something new that might help
but then after visiting the MSYS2 website I remembered that I tried
this last year.

very quickly. I have had no (non-trivial or non-GTK-related!) problems building my current project
on both Debian and Windows for this reason.
I wish I could say that was the case for me.  Last year I did get
MSYS2 and was able to build a simple hello world project.  I ran
into two problems and one made gtkmm3 on MSYS2 completely unusable.

The first problem was
GLib-GObject-WARNING **: attempt to override closure->va_marshal
and I was not able to find a solution with Google or this list.

The second item was a really ugly oversized theme that I was not
able to change.  This is the one that made it useless for anything
that I wanted to do.  I did some hunting for a solution but the
only thing I was  able to find was that others had that problem
but there was no solution

There may also be other methods, but this is the one I know, and I can enthusiastically recommend it.
I guess I should try again.  Perhaps since the last time these
problems have been fixed.

the migration guide recommends that you first fixup your code so that it can build with 3, and then
start migrating to 4.
sounds like fun.

Damon Register