Re: EXTERNAL: ANNOUNCE: gtkmm 3.89.3

On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 12:00 PM, <gtkmm-list-request gnome org> wrote:
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2017 15:27:49 -0500
From: Damon Register <damon w register lmco com>
To: <gtkmm-list gnome org>
Subject: Re: EXTERNAL: ANNOUNCE: gtkmm 3.89.3

On 1/20/2017 7:45 AM, Murray Cumming wrote:
> *** gtkmm
>
> gtkmm 3.89 wraps GTK+ 3.89. It will become gtkmm 4.0,
> wrapping GTK+ 4.0. It is a version of the gtkmm-4.0 API.
Wow, I have not been following the versions for a while.
I am still stuck on gtkmm 2.22 because I have not been able to
use anything more recent.  I am working on Windows and 2.22 is
the only one that I could get to work.

Thanks everyone for your work on this.  I guess it is time for
me to take another shot at moving up.

Damon Register

I think whatever method you are using to obtain gtkmm is extremely suboptimal. Even in the GTK+2 branch, there's a 2.24 available of gtkmm. Secondly, you should give a try to MSYS2, which provides native Windows packages of gtkmm and many other useful libraries, and it tracks upstream releases very quickly. I have had no (non-trivial or non-GTK-related!) problems building my current project on both Debian and Windows for this reason.

There may also be other methods, but this is the one I know, and I can enthusiastically recommend it.

Keep in mind that (A) migrating from GTK+2 to GTK+3 may be non-trivial depending on your program, and (B) GTK+4 may be the same again. Also, even if you decide to move from 2 to 4 in one fell swoop, the migration guide recommends that you first fixup your code so that it can build with 3, and then start migrating to 4.