Re: Building GStreamermm with GStreamer 1.0

Ok, I'll start submitting patches to bugzilla whenever there's a first version for gstreamer 1.0

Also, I guess the init function would not take that long anymore, since the gst registry is now stored in binary format, which, presumably, should be much faster to parse...

And, just to set the record straight: that code isn't mine, it just happened to be what I was looking for.

Cheers,
-Dirk

On 12 June 2013 01:43, José Alburquerque <jaalburquerque gmail com> wrote:
On Mon, 2013-06-10 at 14:33 +0200, Dirk Van Haerenborgh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> That sounds great. I'll check back in a few weeks then.
> Btw, would the patch in [1] meet the design requirements of
> gstreamermm? If so, I'll try to implement this after you finish
> porting.

First, the changes to the .hg and .ccg files are better dealt with as
git patches submitted in bugzilla.  It is easier to look at the changes
there, discuss them and decide whether they should be included (with or
without changes) or not.

As far as the addition of the appsink and appsrc plug-ins I think these
will probably be included in the upcoming release.

Your test code seems to include calls to the get_type() method of the
plug-ins so that the casting of plug-ins created with
Gst::ElementFactory::create_element() works.  This was not necessary
some time ago, but to speed gstreamermm startup time up plug-in
registration was disabled at gstreamermm initialization (see [1][2]).
It may be possible to include a flag in the Gst::init() methods
signaling that plug-in registration is desired so calling the get_type()
methods manually would not be necessary in these cases.  I'll look into
this.

[1]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/gstreamer-devel/2012-September/037199.html
[2]
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gstreamermm/commit/?id=648b89f5fe715c7c96a5824df999e9f2acb6f220

As far as implementing plug-ins in C++ (ie. maybe deriving from a class
like PushSrc), ideally there would be no C code at all.  I think that's
what gstreamermm would strive for.

--
José

--