Re: hilghlighting

On Wed, 12 May 2010, deloptes <deloptes yahoo com> wrote :

this was a pretty good summary.
So Windows >2k is utf-16 - I stopped following with 2k.
so in theory it would accept utf-8 so MinGW shouldn't mangle the chars

No, you clearly didn't read the summary. UTF-16 is NOT compatible with UTF-8. Granted my last post was over-simplified and a little out of date, but the essence was correct - Windows only handles Unicode in word-wide form, where UTF-8 is explicitly a byte stream.
--
Rob Pearce                       http://www.bdt-home.demon.co.uk

The contents of this | Windows NT crashed.
message are purely   | I am the Blue Screen of Death.
my opinion. Don't    | No one hears your screams.
believe a word.      |